Is this blog destined to become a two post a month space where I lay out my goals and then report back on them later? I hope not, for February at least, the answer is yes.
I love the month of February. It’s one of my favourites. I like that it makes no promises and that it comes with no expectations. It’s totally blank slate and can be exactly what you make it. (That it includes Valentine’s Day helps because that just happens to be one of my very favourite days of the year. ❤️)
I said I would do a lot of things in February and then February turned into a lot of things that were not the things I said. I’m not going to beat around the bush here so I’ll say it straight and plain: I consistently did very few of the things I said I would do this month. On the bright said, I can at least say that I did all of them sporadically.
The theme for the month was Keep Moving, but throughout the month, I didn’t always feeling like moving at all. Here’s a quick look at how my monthly goals turned out:
- Continue running. This is probably my most successful goal for the month. I did keep running for the most part. I took a short break when the weather got really cold here. (HERE – my cold weather running friends would scoff if I revealed the actual temperature that kept me off the trails.)
- Commit to a step goal. I wanted to up my daily step goal from 5k to 7500. Again, this isn’t a high goal deliberately. I don’t need encouragement for the regular days, but I do need some for the irregular days of curling up with a book and doing little else. I need to rethink how to make this happen.
- Move my body in different ways. There was yoga, there was barre, there was some walking, too. I don’t feel good about how this one turned out, but I still have ideas and plan to explore them now. Better late than never.
- Take the stairs. Yup. I did this. When I thought about it. Which wasn’t always, but pandemic elevator wait times are a real thing and a very good reminder.
- Don’t get stuck. I thought of this long and I thought of this often. It was a last minute addition to my monthly goals and I’m so happy I eventually came up with it. It’s something that will stay forefront in my mind for the foreseeable future. It’s even destined for a post-it reminder as I revamp my work from home station.
So, yeah, I wasn’t the most dedicated to February’s goals and I may have even been better at keeping up with January’s still. It’s a learning process.
Overall, as a reflection on My Happiness Project, I’m happy I’ve started it and I’m not at all discouraged by this month’s setbacks. As I’ve mentioned a couple of times already, the beauty of the project is that it runs a whole year long, leaving plenty of time to correct my course. I chose Make Space and Keep Moving in early months because they were two I wanted to the most exposure to. If I had to do it over again, I might wait until a warmer month for the movement theme instead of doing it in February just to avoid the cold and sometimes dreary weather.
As of right now, I’m undecided on how to proceed for the month of March because I’m torn between two options. Check back tomorrow to see how that turned out.
Here is a link to my post about My Happiness Project for 2021 and here are links to the posts I’ve shared since then.
How was your February? Are your New Year’s resolutions still alive and well? Or have you modified them since the beginning of the year?